March 6, 2013
Genesis is a good place to start. It means “Beginnings” and often we can find clues to other topics in the Bible by going back to the first mention of it, whether in Genesis or elsewhere.
Genesis 24:27 – “I being in the way, the LORD led me…”
Eliezer was Abraham’s trusted servant. When the patriarch wanted a wife for his son, Isaac, he sent his servant back to his hometown, Ur of the Chaldees, to find one. Ur was 600 plus miles to the east, but closer to a thousand miles by caravan route.
After months of traveling, Eliezer arrived at the city limits, the main well from where the women fetched water for daily use. “He had the camels kneel down near the well outside the town; it was toward evening, the time the women go out to draw water. Then he prayed, ‘O LORD, God of my master Abraham, give me success today, and show kindness to my master Abraham. See, I am standing beside this spring, and the daughters of the townspeople are coming out to draw water. May it be that when I say to a girl, “Please let down your jar that I may have a drink,” and she says, “Drink, and I’ll water your camels too”—let her be the one you have chosen for your servant Isaac. By this I will know that you have shown kindness to my master.’” (Genesis 24:11-14 – NIV). Rebekah, Abraham’s great niece, came along and exactly fulfilled the servant’s request to God. She was the one!
So what’s the gem for living? Eliezer was led by God because he put himself in the way. That doesn’t mean he was blocking God’s leading, but that he was actively in tune with God to receive His directions. Several observations:
- Be in the way of The Way! Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me.” (John 14:6). Be sure you are in Him and He in you as your Savior.
- Be sure He is your Lord, that is, you are in obedience to His will as you understand it.
- Be sure His will as you understand it is in accordance to His Word.
- Ask Him how He is to lead you. I don’t think Eliezer pulled his expectation out of thin air! He was led to ask how to be led!
- Expect God to lead you. Eliezer did!
- Don’t forget to thank and praise Him for His leading.
Because of this faithful servant ‘being in the way’, Abraham got a daughter-in-law, Isaac got a wife, together they had a son who then fathered twelve more, the twelve tribes of Israel, the nation that brought forth the Messiah, the Lord Jesus Christ.
What will God do through you if you get in the way?