August 16, 2013
(All scripture is from the New King James Version unless otherwise indicated.)
This is the seventh in the series of What The Word Will Do. I was looking for a scripture that would wrap up this study, although there are so many other blogs that could be written on the subject. The scripture that came to my mind is Isaiah 55:8-11:
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,” says
the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways
higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain
comes down, and the snow from heaven, and do not return there, but water
the earth, and make it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower,
and bread to the eater, so shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;
it shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it
shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.
We have seen some – just some – of What The Word Will Do:
• It will produce the fruit of the Spirit in your life – “…love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.” (Galatians 5:22, 23 – NIV).
• It will build up your faith from which you live out your Christian life (Romans 10:17).
• It “…is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified.” (Acts 20:32).
• It will “…make [you]…wiser than [your]…enemies….” (Psalm 119:98).
• It will keep you from sinning against the Lord when you hide His Word in your heart (Psalm 119:11).
• It will renew and strengthen the new nature the Holy Spirit has put within you (Colossians 3:10).
If that was all, it would be more than worth it to regularly read, study, meditate on, memorize and speak forth the Word of God! I have developed a list of at least 50 things the Word will do in your Christian life, including:
• It will make you holy (John 17:17).
• It will give prosperity and good success (Joshua 1:7, 8).
• It will negate fear (Psalm 56:3, 4).
• It will keep you strong in tests and trials (Psalm 119:92).
• It will teach you the truth (Psalm 119:142, 151, 160).
• It will help with answers to prayer (John 15:7).
The point is this: God designed the human life to be complete, full and blessed. We have messed it up through sin. He wants us to come back to Him through His Son Jesus Christ, and – being led by His Holy Spirit – God wants us to again experience abundant life. It can all get very complicated by listening to the advice and directions of different ones who say, “This is the way, do it this way.” And they proceed to lay down a host of rules by which to govern your life.
God wants to keep it simple! If we reduce it all to just one thing, do you know what that one thing would be? It would be GET INTO THE WORD OF GOD!!!
• They say prayer is important? The Bible directs us to pray and teaches us how!
• They say worship is important? The Bible directs us to worship and teaches us the proper way!
• They say fellowship is important? The Bible directs us to regular fellowship with other believers!
• They say giving is important? The Bible teaches us how to give!
• They say being a witness is important? The Bible shows us what a Christian witness is and how to do it!
• They say the truth is important? The Bible reveals Him who is the Truth!
All the things necessary for the Christian life are in the Word of God! And if we take in that Word, God will do the rest because – as He promises in Isaiah 55:11:
…My word…that goes forth from My mouth…shall not return to Me void, but it
shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I