January 25, 2017
Revelation 2:18-21, 23-28
(All scripture is from the New King James Version unless otherwise indicated.)
Let us continue Revelation Praise with the letter to the church in Thyatira. There are several things I would like to highlight, but space will not allow. So I will try to be brief. Here is an abbreviated version of Revelation 2:18 through 21, and 23 through 28:
These things says the Son of God, who has eyes like a flame of fire, and
His feet like fine brass: I know your works, love, service, faith, and your
patience, and as for your works, the last are more than the first. Never-
theless…you allow that woman Jezebel…to teach…My servants to commit
sexual immorality and to eat things sacrificed to idols. And I gave her
time to repent…and she did not….I am He who searches the minds and
hearts. And I will give to each one of you according to your works. But
…as many…who have not known the depths of Satan…I will put on you
no other burden. But hold fast what you have till I come….he who over-
comes…to him I will give power over the nations — he shall rule them
with a rod of iron….as I also received of My Father. And I will give him
the morning star.
• Revelation 2:18 – “…the Son of God, who has eyes like a flame of fire, and His feet like fine brass….”
✞ At the judgment seat of Christ, He will examine how Christians have lived their lives. We read in I Corinthians 3:13 and 14, “Each one’s work will become manifest… because…the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is.” The Lord just has to look on us with His eyes like a flame of fire, and He – knowing all – will know exactly and fairly how to judge!
✞ Brass in the Bible, speaks of judgment! And His feet are like fine brass! We are told in Isaiah 63:6 concerning the godless nations, “…I have trodden down the peoples in My anger, made them drunk in My fury, and brought down their strength to the earth.”
Praise Jesus for His righteous judgment – by eyes of fire and feet of brass!
• Revelation 2:19 – “I know your works, love, service, faith, and your patience, and as for your works, the last are more than the first.” The one thing I want to point out here is that Jesus keeps close watch on His followers, and if we are slipping in our dedication – our works – He will let us know! Praise Him for this!
• Revelation 2:20 and 21 – “…you allow that woman Jezebel…to teach…My servants to commit sexual immorality and to eat things sacrificed to idols. And I gave her time to repent… and she did not….” Jezebel is mentioned 22 times in the Old Testament, and only here in the New. She was the wicked wife of Ahab, king of Israel in the time of Elijah the prophet. She promoted Baal worship and vehemently opposed Israel’s true God Jehovah – even to killing all the prophets of the Lord she could find! (See I Kings 18:4).
Apparently, an influential woman in the church in Thyatira was promoting wickedness and idolarty – and the church leaders and members were not doing anything about it! Even so, God was giving her time to repent ! Peter tells us in II Peter 3:9, “The Lord is…not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.” Praise God that He “…desires all…to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.” (I Timothy 2:4). Praise Him that He has made the way in Jesus!
• Revelation 2:23 – “…I am He who searches the minds and hearts. And I will give to each one of you according to your works.” (See the first point covered above – Revelation 2:18). John writes of Jesus, “…He knew all men…He knew what was in man.” (John 2:24, 25 – see also Psalm 139:1-4; Hebrews 4:13). Praise Him that He knows me totally, yet He loves me unconditionally! (See John3:16; Romans 5:8-10; 8:38, 39).
• Revelation 2:24 – “…as many…who have not known the depths of Satan…I will put on you no other burden.” It is hard enough to let Jesus truly live the Christian life in and through us when our enemy Satan opposes us all the way! But I praise God that “…He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust.” (Psalm 103:14). And I praise Him because – as it says in I Corinthians 10:13 (English Standard Version) – “God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.”
• Revelation 2:25 – “…hold fast what you have till I come….” He is coming again! Praise His holy name! (See John 14:3; Acts 1:11; Revelation 1:7).
• Revelation 2:26 and 27 – “…he who overcomes…to him I will give power over the nations — he shall rule them with a rod of iron….as I also received of My Father.” Praise the Lord that when He returns as “KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS” (Revelation 19:16), He will rule righteously, not allowing any enduring sin! (See Psalm 2:8-12; 101:8 [International Standard Version]; Isaiah 9:6, 7; Revelation 12:5; 19:15).
• Revelation 2:26 and 28 – “…he who overcomes…to him I will give…the morning star.” I find it interesting that both Jesus and Satan are called the morning star! (See Isaiah 14:12 [Lexham English Bible]; Revelation 22:16). But the devil only copies what God has already done! He who overcomes will be given Jesus Christ Himself eternally! We have Him now and we will have Him forever! Praise be to God!