January 30, 2017
Revelation 3:7, 9-12
(All scripture is from the New King James Version unless otherwise indicated.)
Let’s look at the letter to the sixth of seven churches, the church in Philadelphia, and see what reasons to praise the Lord we can find there. Here is an abbreviated version of Revelation 3:7 and verses 9 through 12:
These things says He who is holy, He who is true. “He…has the key of
David, He…opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens….I
will make those…of Satan…worship before your feet, and…know…I have
loved you. Because you have kept My command to persevere, I…will
keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world.
…Behold, I come quickly! Hold fast to what you have, that no one may
take your crown. He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the
temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. And I will write on him
the name of My God and of…the New Jerusalem. And I will write on
him My new name.
• Revelation 3:7 – “…He who is holy, He who is true.” Of all the religions in the world, only Jesus Christ can say He is both holy and true! (See John 14:6; I Peter 2:22). Many other religions will claim that they possess the truth (there are some who say they teach only one truth among many – which is logically impossible!); but none can rightly assert their founder is holy! Praise God Jesus Christ is both holy and true!
• Revelation 3:7 – “He…has the key of David, He…opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens.”
✞ The key in the Bible is a sign of authority! As David was the first king in the royal line of Judah, so Jesus will be the final and eternal King! Zechariah 9:9 is the unmistakable prophecy of the Triumphal Entry (see Matthew 21:1-9; Mark 11:1-10; Luke 19:29-38; John 12:12-15). Zechariah 9:10 gives the extent of the Messiah’s reign: “He shall speak peace to the nations; His dominion shall be from sea to sea, and from the River to the ends of the earth.” Psalm 72, when read in the light of Christ’s kingship, is an amazing description of His rule! Praise God for (as it says in Luke 1:33) “…He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end.”
✞ Christ, being holy and true, makes perfect decisions! So praise Him that what He opens will stay open, and what He shuts will stay shut! And this both concerns us now and in His future kingdom!
• Revelation 3:9 – “I will make those…of Satan…worship before your feet, and…know…I have loved you.” Paul wrote in Philippians 2:9 through 11:
Therefore God also has highly exalted Him, and given Him the name
which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should
bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the
earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to
the glory of God the Father.
Now we have the choice, and if we choose to bow and confess Jesus Christ is Lord, we will be saved (see Romans 10:9-13). Then, even Satan will have to bow and confess, and it will be in front of believers as well as God! Then he and all unbelievers will be cast into hell! Praise God for this final judgment and our vindication!
• Revelation 3:10 – “Because you have kept My command to persevere, I…will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world.” This is a veiled reference to the Rapture (see I Corinthians 15:49-54; I Thessalonians 4:13-17). For the hour of trial is the Tribulation. Oh, how I praise God that true believers will be raptured out of the world before the Tribulation!
• Revelation 3:11 – “Behold, I come quickly! ” In the New Testament alone, there are over 300 references to the Second Coming of Christ! And, although it has been almost two thousand years, remember what II Peter 3:8 teaches us: “…with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.” I praise the Lord that He will still be coming quickly!
• Revelation 3:11 – “Hold fast to what you have, that no one may take your crown.” There are five crowns that will be given in eternity: the imperishable crown (I Corinthians 9:25); the crown of rejoicing (I Thessalonians 2:19); the crown of righteousness (II Timothy 4:8); the crown of life (James 1:12); and the crown of glory (I Peter 5:4). I want to hold fast to what I have, for then some day, as it says in Matthew 10:42, I “…shall by no means lose…[my] reward.” Praise His holy name!
• Revelation 3:12 – “He who overcomes…”
✞ “…I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more.” David wrote in Psalm 84:10, “…a day in Your courts is better than a thousand [elsewhere]. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.” Not just a doorkeeper for a day, put a permanent pillar! Wow! Praise God for our eternal future in His dwelling!
✞ “And I will write on him the name of My God…” What that name is, we don’t know. But according to Isaiah 49:16, we are already inscribed on the palms of His hands! Praise God!
✞ “And I will write on him the name of…the New Jerusalem.” Ancient Jews were very proud of being born in and belonging to Jerusalem (see Psalm 87:1-7). The New Jerusalem is where God and His redeemed will forever dwell! (See Revelation 21:2-4, 27). Praise the Lord that I will be marked as a permanent resident of that forever city!
✞ “And I will write on him My new name.” There are many names ascribed to the Lord Jesus Christ (see for instance Isaiah 9:6, 7). The last one revealed is in Revelation 19:16: “KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS”! Although we can never claim that name for ourselves, we will reign with Him (see II Timothy 2:12; Revelation 20:6), and we will apparently be so marked! Praise Jesus Christ that I will even bear His name forever!