February 22, 2017
Acts 1:7, 8
(All scripture is from the New King James Version unless otherwise indicated.)
In 1976 I started a fund raising business in Northeastern Pennsylvania. I called it Successful Fund Raising, and I arranged for schools, scouts, auxiliary groups, etc. to sell my products to raise funds for the organizations that benefited from their support. The main company I represented was TV Time Foods, makers of popcorn products. Their fund raising division was called Funds-A-Poppin’ and they offered several products. But their most successful item was a box containing two-part packs of popcorn and flavored oil. I sold a bunch of it! Here’s why:
• The company, TV Time Foods, Inc. was a first-rate company who always offered a great product, and backed their products up with good support.
• The fund raising division offered good training at their expense. And I learned a lot from the guys who had been in the business before me.
• They sent me liberal supplies of samples to both try for myself as well as give out to decision-making leaders of the organization I was seeking to sell the product.
• Once the contract was signed by the organization agreeing to sell, Funds-A-Poppin’ always shipped the product in a timely fashion, and offered support to the customer.
• But most of all, I could sell a lot of popcorn because I believed whole-heartedly in both the product I was offering and the company that backed up the product!
As Christians, we have a product to offer people, and we are told to get out and do it! Here is our commission in Acts 1:7 and 8:
It is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has put in
His own authority. But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit
has come upon you, and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem,
and in all Judea, and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.
Let’s look at the five points I mentioned above, and see how they apply we called to be Selling Our Product!
• The Great Product we have to offer is the Lord Jesus Christ! And the Company backing that Product is the Trinitarian Godhead! The Support these three Persons of the Trinity offer is their individual presence through the indwelling Holy Spirit! (See Matthew 28:20; John 14:16-18, 23; Hebrews 13:5).
• Training is available for you to become an effective sales representative for Jesus!
✞ A lot of instructive literature comes with the Product! One of the big problems of becoming an owner of something is that we don’t bother to read the instruction book! There is the story of a farmer who years ago bought his first automobile. It was back around 1946 when automatic transmissions had not been available for too long. The farmer insisted he didn’t need to be instructed in the use of his new purchase because he had successfully been driving a truck and tractor for several years. He hopped in the driver’s seat, and off he went. But just half an hour later the car and the farmer were back – the car, with smoke coming from underneath, was on the hook-end of a tow truck. Here was his explanation: “I put ‘er in ‘L’ for ‘Leap’ and off she went! Then I shifted the lever to ‘D’ for ‘Darn Fast’ and we were really goin’ down the road! Then I dropped ‘er into ‘R’ for ‘Race’ and the thing just blew up!”
We have an instruction manual for our faith! It is called the Bible! This book will not only teach us how to successfully live out our own Christian lives, but will tell us how to properly interact with other – including how to share our faith with others! And since it is a spiritual book, written by God Himself by means of the inspiration of the Holy Spirit (see I Peter 1:20, 21), ask the Lord to give you understanding as you read and study it! But remember, we have to do our part, as Saint Paul admonishes us in Colossians 3:16: “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly…,” meditating in it “…day and night.” (Psalm 1:2).
✞ As we do our part – getting to know the Scriptures, and relying on God to lead us – the Lord tells us in Isaiah 30:21, “Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, ‘This is the way, walk in it,’ whenever you turn to the right hand or whenever you turn to the left.” So we can be led by the One who sees all and knows all! (See Acts 16:6-10). Our Savior will not only give us His presence in any situation in which we find ourselves, but He also promises the following in Mark 13:11 (Easy-To-Read Version):
You will be taken to stand before governors and kings. People will do
this to you because you follow Me. You will tell about Me to those kings
and governors and to the non-Jewish people. When you are arrested,
don’t worry about what to say or how you should say it. At that time you
will be given the words to say. It will not really be you speaking; the
Spirit of your Father will be speaking through you.
Now, while this specifically applies to the followers of Jesus Christ during the Tribulation period (the last seven years on earth before the Lord returns), the principle involved is also for those Christians today who go out to ‘sell’ to others their Product, Jesus Christ! The Holy Spirit will bring to mind just what to say in presenting what you are offering!
✞ There is also training available from seasoned Christians who have learned to share their faith with others. Your church might offer witnessing classes for those interested. And ask God to also lead you to the proper person He has for you to be trained one-on-one. Inquire of your pastor whom he might recommend. Then learn from those classes and that one!
We will continue in the next blog how to be Selling Our Product.