(All Scripture is from the New King James Version unless otherwise indicated)
Pictured above are the military awards (from the United States, France, and Belgium) given to Audie Murphy, the World War II hero who is often referred to as America’s most decorated soldier. Wikipedia’s article on the man says, “Murphy received every U.S. military combat award for valor available from the U.S. Army for his World War II service.”
There are many other highly decorated great soldiers in the history of America, as well as heros from other countries around the world and throughout history. But who is the greatest soldier of them all? I believe it is Jesus Christ! Here is a prophesy concerning Him from Isaiah 25:7 through 9 (terms in the quoted Scriptures concerning Jesus Christ that can be applied to the military are underlined in this Gem):
And He will destroy on this mountain the surface of the covering cast over all people, and the veil that is spread over all nations. He will swallow up death forever, and the Lord God will wipe away tears from all faces; the rebuke of His people He will take away from all the earth; for the Lord has spoken. And it will be said in that day: “Behold, this is our God; we have waited for Him, and He will save us. This is the Lord; we have waited for Him; we will be glad and rejoice in His salvation.”
How can it be said of Jesus Christ that He is the greatest Soldier ever?
- First, we must realize we are in a great spiritual war! Scripture uses military language to describe this war:
✞ I Corinthians 15:26 – “The last enemy that will be destroyed is death.” ✞ II Corinthians 10:3-5 – “For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ....” ✞ Ephesians 6:12 (Good News Bible) – “For we are not fighting against human beings but against the wicked spiritual forces in the heavenly world, the rulers, authorities, and cosmic powers of this dark age.” ✞ I Peter 5:8 (Easy-to-Read Version) – “Control your- selves and be careful! The devil is your enemy, and he goes around like a roaring lion looking for some- one to attack....”
- The Lord’s purpose for coming to earth is spelled out militarily in I John 3:8: “For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.”
✞ Satan had taken captive all human beings! For we are told in... ➜ John 8:34 – “Whoever commits sin is the slave of sin.” ➜ Romans 3:23 – “For all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God.” ➜ Romans 6:20, 21 – “...you were slaves of sin....the end of those things is death.” ✞ John 8:36 – “...if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.” By destroying the works of the devil, we are set free!
- To win the victory, it cost the Savior dearly!
✞ Isaiah 53:5, 6 – “He was wounded for our transgres- sions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chas- tisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; We have turned, every one, to his own way; and the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.” ✞ I John 3:16 – “...He laid down His life for us....”
- But win He did!
✞ Hebrews 2:14 – “...as...[human beings] have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and release those who through fear of death were all their life- time subject to bondage.” ✞ I Corinthians 15:57 – “...thanks be to God, who has given us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”
Ok, Jesus Christ is the greatest soldier of them all! But, considering all the medals and ribbons Audie Murphy received, is the Lord also a decorated veteran for the service He has rendered? Consider these Scriptures:
- John 20:27, 28 – “Then…[Jesus] said to Thomas, ‘Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.’ And Thomas answered and said to Him, ‘My Lord and my God!’ ”
Jesus proudly bears the marks of the cross! And as Thomas did, we also honor those scars, for those wounds were inflicted on our behalf!
- Revelation 19:11-16 – “Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war. His eyes were like a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns. He had a name written that no one knew except Himself. He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God. And the armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses. Now out of His mouth goes a sharp sword, that with it He should strike the nations. And He Himself will rule them with a rod of iron. He Himself treads the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. And He has on His robe and on His thigh a name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.”
How do we honor Jesus as the greatest Soldier of them all?
- Psalm 116:12-14, 16, 17 – “What shall I render to the Lord for all His benefits toward me? I will take up the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord. I will pay my vows to the Lord now in the presence of all His people….O Lord, truly I am Your servant…You have loosed my bonds. I will offer to You the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the Lord.”
- Revelation 7:12 – “And all…fell on their faces before the throne and worshiped God, saying, ‘Amen! Blessings and glory and wisdom, thanksgiving and honor and power and might, be to our God forever and ever. Amen.”
- Mark 12:29-31 – “Jesus answered…, ‘…you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength….And…you shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”
- John 14:15 – Jesus said, “If you love Me, keep My commandments.”
Being a veteran myself, thank you, all you veterans and your families, for your service! And Jesus being the greatest Soldier of them all…
Thank You, Lord Jesus…for Your service on our behalf!