Hebrews 1:1-3; II Samuel 22:33
(All Scripture is from the New King James Version unless otherwise indicated)
The power of God is amazing!
- Genesis 1:1 – “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.” According to Genesis 1:3through 28, it is written in the record of creation, “And God said…” eight times…and what He commanded happened each time! All the universe came into being by the power of His spoken word!
- Psalm 147:4 (English Standard Version) – “He determines the number of the stars; He gives to all of them their names.” Science estimates there are in the universe about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (1,000 Septillion stars!) Wow! What power!
- Jeremiah 32:27; 17:
✡ God asked Jeremiah, “Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh. Is there anything too hard for Me?” ✡ The prophet answered, “Ah, LORD God, Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and outstretched arm, there is nothing too hard for You.”
God is omnipotent! …which means, God is all-powerful! Which brings us to our two featured Scriptures:
- Hebrews 1:1-3:
God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; who being the brightness of His glo- ry and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high....
In Genesis 1, it is God who creates all things! But in our Hebrews passage, it focuses that creative power on Jesus Christ!
✞ “...He made the worlds...” (verse 2) – creation power! ✞ “...He...[is] upholding all things by the word of His power...” (verse 3) – sustaining power! ✞ It is no wonder then, that by the power of Jesus, “...He...by Himself purged our sins...”! (verse 3).
- II Samuel 22:33 – David, in his Psalm of Thanksgiving, sang this: “God is my strength and power, and He makes my way perfect.”
✡ David needed that purging power to get rid of his sins! For... ➔ ...he committed adultery with Bathsheba! (See II Samuel 11:1-5). ➔ ...he had Bathsheba’s husband Uriah murdered to cover up his affair with Uriah’s wife! (See II Samuel 11:6-17). ✡ In Psalm 32:5 David tells us what he did to have his way made perfect: “I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I have not hidden. I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,’ and You forgave the iniquity of my sin.” (See also Psalm 51). ✞ Thank God I John 1:9 is true – “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
It is by the mighty power of Jesus, dying and living for us, that our sins are also washed away!
- Psalm 103:12 – “As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.”
- Isaiah 1:18 – “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall be as wool.”
- Micah 7:19 – “He will…subdue our iniquities…[and] cast all our sins into the depths of the sea.”
- Colossians 2:13, 14 – “…He has…forgiven you all trespasses…[having taken them} out of the way…having nailed [them]…to the cross.”
Yes, we have a powerful God! And that power is available to us! As we saw in II Peter 1:2 and 3 in the previous Gem concerning…
...Jesus our Lord...His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corrup- tion that is in the world through lust.
Appropriate His power!
For His glory!