January 1, 2016
Deuteronomy 33:25-27 (Modern King James Version)
(All scripture is from the New King James Version unless otherwise indicated.)
We are looking at Facing The Future as we begin the new year. And the Scripture that has given me much comfort and peace about The Future is Deuteronomy 33:25 through 27:
Your shoes shall be iron and bronze. And as your days, so shall your
strength be. There is none like the God of Jeshurun, who rides on the
heavens to your help, and in His majesty on the clouds. The eternal
God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms. And He
shall throw the enemy out from before you, and shall say, Destroy!
We considered the first two sentences – verse 25 – in our last blog: “Your shoes shall be iron and bronze. And as your days, so shall your strength be.” God gave the Israelites shoes of iron and bronze, to travel 40 years in the wilderness wanderings without that footwear deteriorating! He also gave them strength – and whatever else they needed – to face any situation, as they depended upon Him! And He will do the same for us! But lets go on…
• …Deuteronomy 33:26 – “There is none like the God of Jeshurun….” Jeshurun is a name applied to Israel three times in the Old Testament – here and in Deuteronomy 32:15 and 33:26. It means upright! How could the people of Israel be called upright? If you consider their rebellious actions (just to name a few!) in…
* …Exodus 14:10 through 12 – When Moses, by God’s direction, had led them to the edge of the Red Sea after they left Egypt, and they saw the Egyptians pursuing them, they turned against the Lord and His appointed leader. “Because there were no graves in Egypt, have you taken us away to die in the wilderness?…it would have been better to serve the Egyptians….”
* …Exodus 16:2 and 3 – Their first experience of hunger after leaving Egypt brought more rebellion. “Oh, that we had died by the hand of the LORD in…Egypt….For you have brought us out into this wilderness to kill this whole assembly with hunger.”
* …Exodus 32:1 through 6 – As Moses was on Mount Sinai receiving the Ten Commandments, the Israelites turned against God and unto blatant idolatry. They said to Aaron, “Come, make us gods that will go before us…as for this man Moses…we don’t know what has become of him.”
There are many more times of rebellion recorded throughout the Old Testament. How could the people of Israel be called upright ? But God saw them as upright !
And God sees us as upright also! How can this be? As were the people of Israel, we also are called sinners against Him in many passages such as Romans 3:10 and 23: “There is none righteous, no, not one….for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” And we are called enemies of God in Colossians 1:21: “…you…were once alienated and enemies [of the Lord]…by wicked works….”
But again – as God did with Israel – He redeemed them! “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16). And in II Corinthians 5:21 Paul writes, “For He [the Father] made Him [the Son, Jesus Christ] who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him.” (See the blog of March 27, 2013 – The Great Exchange). We are clothed in the very righteousness of the Son of God! In Him, we stand before God as if we had never sinned! Yes, we also are called Jeshurun – upright – before our holy God!
• …Deuteronomy 33:26 – “…the God of Jeshurun…rides on the heavens to your help, and in His majesty on the clouds. ” This speaks of His majesty and power! Ancient man was awestruck by the heavens. And still, on a clear night when I look up at the myriad stars in the heavens, I stand in awe of the mighty God – of whom it says this in Ezekiel 12:25: “…I am the LORD. I speak, and the word which I speak will come to pass….I will say the word and perform it.” (See also the creation story in Genesis 1).
“…God…rides on the heavens…and in His majesty on the clouds.” He is above creation! Everything is under His ultimate control! And to where does He ride? “…to your help…!”
So take heart! Almighty God is for you in the coming year and way beyond – for eternity! Trust in His Word and come to Him through accepting Jesus as your Savior, and standing in His righteousness alone! In Christ you are His Jeshurun, and He will help you!