February 1, 2016
II Corinthians 9:6-8, 11
(All scripture is from the New King James Version unless otherwise indicated.)
Let’s see if we can finish up our study of Reaping Bountifully from II Corinthians 9:6 through 8 and 11:
…He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows
bountifully will also reap bountifully. So let each one give as he pur-
poses in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a
cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you,
that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abun-
dance for every good work…while you are enriched in everything for
all liberality, which causes thanksgiving through us to God.
We have learned several things:
• As with natural farming principles, the amount of seed sown is in direct relationship to the amount of crop available for reaping!
• The seed sown is what we give back to God – a portion of what He has given us in the first place! As Solomon said in I Chronicles 29:14 concerning the abundant gifts of rich materials the Israelites had given to build the temple: “But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to offer so willingly as this? For all things come from You, and of Your own we have given You.”
• Recognizing that all our wealth and resources come from God – and He still owns them, and us too (see I Corinthians 6:19, 20) – helps us to give a portion back with a joyful heart.
• Such giving delights God who desires to pour out upon us even more blessings! Jesus even told us the rate of return in Matthew 19:29: “And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My name’s sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.” A one hundred times payback! That works out to Ten Thousand Percent Interest on any investment given gladly to God!!! This does not mean that everyone who gives a dollar will be then given back a hundred dollars! Or the one who gives a thousand will receive a hundred thousand! But I think the principle stands. And while such investment returns might destroy us in this earthly life by being corrupted by excessive wealth – God banks it all in heaven for our perfect use for His glory when we reach that perfected heavenly state!
• We also learned from verse 8 of our scripture of a two-fold result that comes from giving joyfully and abundantly:
* …that we might “…have…all sufficiency in all things….”
* …that we “…may have an abundance for every good work….”
Yes, our Lord blesses us because He delights in us, His children, and wants us to have our needs daily needs met. But He also blesses us so we can give more away – so we “…may have an abundance for every good work….”
But what does our passage say will be the final result of abundant and joyful giving here and now? Here is verse 11: “…while you are enriched in everything for all liberality, which causes thanksgiving through us to God.” Again we are reminded – and as someone once said – “We are blessed to be a blessing!” – enriched in everything for all liberality!
One of the great joys my wife and I have is an expanded capacity to give to the causes of God’s work. My first church in 1972 paid me $5000 a year to be their pastor. My wife and I faithfully gave back to God’s work a tithe – 10% – $500 a year given to mission and church work. Over the last 45 years, our Heaven Father has entrusted us with a lot more from which to tithe. And we have increased the percentage of our income to be given away, so now we are able to give almost twice that original yearly amount every month!
But there are more results to mention from verse 11 of our scripture:
• Our joyous giving “…causes thanksgiving through us to God.” When my wife and I give, it causes great joy and thanksgiving to flow from our hearts to God’s ear! We feel privileged to be helping to expand the Lord’s work!
• The recipients of our gifts also thank and praise God for His meeting their needs through our giving!
Thanksgiving and praise given sincerely to our Heavenly Father is perhaps the greatest gift His child can give Him. He basks in it! It even says in Psalm 22:3 of God that, “…You… inhabit the praises of…” Your people! God dwells in our thanksgiving and praises! So if you want to feel close to God, praise and thank Him! And Abundant Reaping resulting from abundant sowing (giving) will greatly facilitate our own and others’ thanksgiving and praise!